Friday, January 27, 2012

"Nothing of me is original..."

"...I am the combined effort of everybody I've ever known."

Said quote is from my favorite book, Invisible Monsters, by Chuck Palahniuk, and is completely relevant to my agitation today.

Yesterday, as I was waiting for Jersey Shore to start, my boyfriend and I started YouTubing "Sh*t (insert demographic here) Say" videos.  I watched video after video of stereotypical sorority girl, frat guy, girl, girlfriend, etc. sayings.

They were hilarious because they were extremely true, at least for me.  But I started this post discussing my agitation, which I will now explain by asking this simple question:

When did we become so unoriginal?

I mean, does anyone else get depressed at the thought that we've essentially become so predictable and generic that we can so easily be defined, like in these videos?

But this isn't the worst part.  I found these videos because of friends posting them on each other's Facebook walls, with accompanying statuses like "OMG HAHAHA THIS IS SO ME!!!"

So, we're predictable and generic, and we're proud of it?

http://beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment