Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Dear Mr. Paul

I'm not a Republican, or a huge fan of politics.  But I have to admit that this election is ridiculously interesting.

Take Ron Paul, for instance.

This guy has run in the past three presidential elections, first time now in the Republican party.  Ironically, where the Democrats dominated during Obama's campaign in 2008, Paul is now the frontrunner for voters under 30.

Oddly enough, it's been very difficult for him to engage voters over that demographic.  Why?

Because voters under 30 don't remember the Ron Paul who's name appeared on racist newsletters and was seen shaking hands with the Grand Wizard of the KKK.

Sure, it seemed like 353928334 years ago.  But people don't forget and these problems don't disappear.

Which reminds me of a magical word that I like to sprinkle into my vocabulary at work:  accountability.

In this amazing article I encountered this morning, Michael Medved of The Daily Beast makes the solution so simple, I was more amazed at the fact that Paul hadn't thought to do this.

So many times, especially when we're seen as underdogs whether at school or at work, we kind of elaborate why we may have done / not done something.  I mean, I'm definitely guilty of playing the "I'm just the intern" card at work or the "I didn't do it, ask Booger (my brother)" card at home.

And so many times, I've come to realize that if I would have just said "Whoops, my bad" instead, it may have resulted a bit more favorable than being seen in a negative light or have people jump to their own conclusions.  Taking the mea culpa looks way better than running circles around the inevitable consequence you're going to face.

Ron Paul is a 76 year-old man and he still doesn't get that point.  That's because this isn't something taught at school, kids.

http://beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I love how you poke fun of the under 30 crowd. Keep the writing going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just so fun, I can't help myself! Haha thank you!

    ReplyDelete