Tuesday, January 17, 2012

No, It's Not The ''Economy, Stupid''

Telling a recent grad that the economy is the reason they can't find a job is like this mom defending her daughter for wearing a Confederate flag shirt in school:  it's supporting a really stupid idea. 

Once upon a time, it was okay for recent grads to use the whole economy excuse, just like once upon a time it was okay for people to hang the Confederate flag outside of their homes. 

I know a few of you probably felt their heads fume a bit.  But if you don't believe me, let the International Business Times tell you that 95% of college graduates are employed.

But maybe it's not where they'd like to be employed.  And maybe it's ridiculously competitive for those trying to find a relevant, entry level position. 

In one entry-level marketing position, for instance, a total of 768 applicants submitted resumes, the majority of which with bachelor's degrees and two years of experience. 

I told you, ridiculously competitive.

So what sets you apart from the other 767 recent marketing grads?  Well, you tell me.

Say you're in my position, a marketing grad with only collegiate experience.  How am I going to convince someone that I can sell something else?

By selling myself. (No, not like that.)

You're essentially a brand.  Kim Kardashian is the epitome of this.  Homegirl has done absolutely nothing to gain her fame, but she's kept it by creating a brand of her name.

From stores to dieting pills to clothing lines, her name brings value to whatever she's selling.  This is how a human being works. 

We bring value to our name by what we represent; if we can convince the person on the other side of the laptop reading our resumes that we're the best thing since slice bread, then we've put value to an otherwise faceless, mundane, generic application.

This personal brand is something that carries with you.  My personal brand as an eccentric marketing apprentice is relevant to everything from the absurdity of my blog to the incredibly awesome marketing campaigns I've come up with.

So if you still want to blame the economy, use this as an opportunity to boost it by putting yourself out on the market and seeing how many people buy a colorful personality.

http://beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com/

2 comments:

  1. I like your POV. You are unique though in that you make no excuses, have a great work ethic and are willing to put yourself out there. It's easier to make excuses than do what you do.

    By the way, Kim Kardashian earned her fame through a sex tape. So theoretically, she did do "something" to earn it. :)

    Perri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sure some people reading this would probably prefer to strangle me but if at least one person gets something positive out of it, then my job is done! :)

      And I totally forgot about that! Ugh, she just annoys me to no end!

      Delete