Monday, October 3, 2011

Catwalk or fatwalk?

I am totally for this whole self-esteem movement.

In fact, I'm so for this movement, I spent two years doing philanthropies and service for the Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders (ANAD) Foundation in my sorority days.

But does anyone else find it a tad ironic that while one side of the media is embracing curves, the other end is ostracizing the overweight? And while they're ostracizing the overweight, they're condemning the over-skinny?

What exactly constitutes normalcy then?

I feel like belonging to a generation that has become hyper-aware of bullying and its tolls, the media has essentially bullied the masses. It doesn't matter if you're skinny or fat, you're wrong.

We all hear the horror stories about women who are unfortunately genetically subjected to their weight, like on the hit MTV show 'How I Used To Be Fat' or 'Extreme Makeover: Weight Loss Edition'. But let me tell you, there's a whole other side of the story that society masks that still haunts me.

In my lifetime, I've been crowned Queen of the Itty-Bitty Titty Committee and affectionately nicknamed Twig and Sick Stickly.

One day, when I ran crying to the principle's office after a group of kids stole my cell-phone and would anonymously instant message me with ridiculous nicknames, the secretary told me to take it as a compliment and sent me on my merry way.

To this day, I'm ashamed of telling this story, not because of what was done to me, but because I've been conditioned to believe that this isn't even a legitimate concern.

So I ask again, where is the line that defines the normalcy standard between too big and too thin?

http://beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment