Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Cyber Bitch


Computers are marvelous. Computers revolutionized technology for generations to come.

But did anyone else watch DISconnected on MTV?

I truly, honestly wish this was the story of my life. But instead, here I am, blogging about it, on my computer.

The premise of the documentary is of how three college students survive without their computers. Not just the internet. The entire computer.

No online homework, no YouTube, just pen, paper, and human interaction.

It emphasizes a point where our communication technology has progressed while our personal communication has regressed. Makes you sick to think about, huh?

Think about how to someone else, we're just a name on an email, a picture on a page. Or to the millions of people that get bullied every day, a nightmare behind a screen.

The age of technology brings an age of cowards. I wish I could say that it stops with high school since college individuals are mature, educated, blah blah blah.

In reality, this couldn't be further from the truth.

Take for instance the fallen site Juicy Campus, the self-proclaimed "enabler of online anonymous free speech on college campuses". In other words, it fed off of gossip, rumors, and rants on over 500 campuses throughout the country.

At one point, it became such a staple in college culture that if you ever wanted joined an organization on campus, you'd better hope your name wasn't on that site.

Out of curiosity once, I read a post about a girl looking to join my sorority. In nicer terms, it claimed she was quite promiscuous and mean-spirited, and included her phone number in case you wanted to reach her for her "services".

What didn't shock me was that someone would do this, what shocked me is that when she came out for our organization, she had to justify this - pardon my french - bullshit.

It virtually became a scarlet letter for anyone listed on this site.

The real terrorists of this country aren't the ones with nukes, they're the ones with words and a shield to anonymity to hide behind.

http://beerbatteredramen.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment